Home   License and Permit Bonds   Lost Instrument Bond

How Do I Replace a Valuable Lost Document or Instrument?

A Woman Searches a File for a Lost Instrument

Apply Online

Or call 844-432-6637

Lost Instrument Surety Bonds are commonly required by issuers of securities or their agents to indemnify them from any financial loss as a result of issuing duplicate securities. The most common types of lost instruments are common and preferred stock certificates and municipal and corporate bonds.

If you own a valuable document that has been lost, stolen or destroyed, the bond protects the original issuer from any financial loss as a result of issuing a duplicate and is sent to the financial that the certificate originated from.

How Do I Know What Type of Surety Bond I Need?

Open Penalty Bonds are for documents whose market value fluctuates or changes.
Fixed Penalty Bonds are for documents whose value remains the same over time.

Lost instruments or douments generally require an affidavit or statement that explains how and when the document was lost or discovered to be missing. The affidavit will then need to be sent to the orginal issuer of the missing document. If the missing document is later found, the issuer will need to be notified of this information.

How Much Will This Surety Bond Cost Me?

The cost, which is the premium that you pay, will depend on whether the surety bond is a fixed penalty or an open penalty, and the value of the document. Fixed and open penalty bonds start as low as 1.5% for good credit. Our Surety Bond Specialists can provide you with a free, no-obligation quote.

Other Examples of Lost Instruments are:

  • Life insurance policy
  • Membership certificate
  • Warehouse receipt
  • Check or money order
  • Certificate of deposit
  • Interest coupon
  • Mortgage
  • Bankbook
  • Other financial instruments and securities

  • Related Links:

    For more information, read our Blog on Lost Instrument Bonds.
    Washington Lost Instrument Bonds
    Wisconsin Lost Instrument Bonds
    Alabama Lost Instrument Bonds
    Alaska Lost Instrument Bonds
    Delaware Lost Instrument Bonds
    Kentucky Lost Instrument Bonds
    Maine Lost Instrument Bonds
    Mississippi Lost Instrument Bonds
    New Hampshire Lost Instrument Bonds
    New Jersey Lost Instrument Bonds
    New Mexico Lost Instrument Bonds
    New York Lost Instrument Bonds
    Pennsylvania Lost Instrument Bonds
    South Dakota Lost Instrument Bonds
    Texas Lost Instrument Bonds

    More Surety Bond Questions?

    Check out our FAQ page or What’s a Surety Bond? page. Should you need or choose to buy a surety bond, buy from us. SuretyGroup.com has been underwriting surety bonds throughout the U.S. for more than 35 years. When you work with us, you enjoy the unique benefit of dealing with a team of highly experienced surety agents with in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive, low rates, quick approvals, and immediate bond delivery. In most cases, your bond will be delivered within 24 hours after you apply for it.


    For a downloadable application