The State of Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission is responsible for providing regulation to the manufactured and modular housing industry, ensure compliance of model codes and protect the public from improperly installed homes. In addition to providing regulation, the Manufactured Housing Commission administers the certification process for manufactured and modular housing installers, manufactured and modular housing manufacturers, and manufactured and modular housing retailers.
The Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission Administrative Code 535-X-12 provides the details of the certification of installation personnel.
The following is required for certification:
1. Completion of the Application for Installer Certification and payment of the certification fee.
2. Complete the Modular Installer Monthly Installation Report.
3. Maintain general liability insurance coverage in the amount of $100,000.
4. Provide proof of US citizenship.
5. Complete the Modular Installer Training Course.
6. Purchase Installer Decals and place on one on each home to be installed. The decal must be placed on the home or building immediately upon site location and prior to installation. Decals are non-transferable and must be utilized by the installer that purchased them.
7. Obtain a $20,000 surety bond or as determined by the Manufactured Housing Commission (the commission may increase or decrease the bond requirements based on a periodic review of valid claims).
Premiums for Alabama Modular Housing Installer bonds are dependent on credit.
An Alabama modular housing installer must first complete an installer’s course.