The Georgia Secretary of State, Board of License Professions, Used Motor Vehicle Parts Division, is responsible for the licensing of Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers, Rebuilders, Dismantlers, and Salvage Dealers.
The Code of Georgia Title 43 Chapter 48 defines the used motor vehicle parts dealer and dismantlers, rebuilders and salvage dealer license requirements.
The following is required for licensure:
1. Complete the application (all questions must be answered) and payment of the license fee.
2. Take photographs of the premises, signage, and must have landline phone service.
3. Provide NMVTIS identification number.
4. Obtain an Original Certificate of Insurance with amounts of limits of 50K/100K/25K.
5. Obtain a state sales tax number from the State Department of Revenue and provide a copy of the Sales Tax Certificate.
6. Provide copy of a Georgia Business License (or occupational license).
7. Complete the applicable Affidavit.
8. Submit a completed Zoning Certification.
9. A $10,000 surety bond is required. The bond must have the exact name of the business and be submitted with the application.
10. License and bond renews December 31 of odd years.
The premium that you pay for a Georgia Dismantler, Rebuilder, or Salvage Dealer Bond is dependent on credit.
Georgia recyclers must report information to Georgia Salvage Reporting for vehicles they handle.
For more information, read our Blog on Dismantler Bonds.