Arizona Mortgage Broker Surety Bond Requirements
The Arizona Department of Financial Institutions oversees the licensure and regulations of mortgage brokers, mortgage bankers, commercial mortgage brokers and commercial mortgage bankers. A mortgage broker is a person who, for compensation or in the expectation of compensation, either directly or indirectly makes, negotiates or offers to make or negotiate a mortgage loan, and who is not exempt by regulation. (ARS 6-901(11)). Mortgage brokers applying for a license must have at least 3 years from the preceding 5 years from application lending experience in a related business.
- Complete the application through the NMLS system and pay the applicable processing fee, filing fee, and FBI criminal background check fee.
- Applicant must satisfy the equivalent and related experience found on the NMLS new application checklist.
- A responsible individual must be listed as the qualifying individual on NMLS for Arizona. The responsible individual must:
- Be a resident of the state
- Be a W2 employee of the company
- Show stability on their credit report and employment history
- Complete a course of study
- Pass a mortgage broker's test
- Provide copies of formation documentaion if applicable.
- Provide a Certificate of Authority / Good Standing Certificate, which demonstrates that the corporation or LLC exists or is authorized to do business in Arizona.
- Provide documentation of citizenship or alien status if you are applying as a sole proprietor.
- Direct owners having more than a 20% voting share, and qualifying individuals must pay applicable fees for individual FBI criminal background checks.
- Individuals who have the ability to vote more than 20% of the outstanding voting shares must provide a personal financial statement.
- Provide verification of experience for the responsible individual / qualifying individual. This includes letters on company letterhead that provide job description and dates of employment, copies of certificates from mortgage broker courses, and a copy of the letter from AzDFI documenting that the individual passed the mortgage broker test.
- Provide a copy of the lease agreements and/or sublease agreements.
- DBA's should be listed under other trade names on the NMLS Company Form. A separate license is required for each "Other Trade Name." DBA and trade names must be registered by submitting an approved copy of your certificate of trade name registration with your application.
Surety Bond Requirements:
A $10,000 surety bond is required. A $15,000 surety bond is required for licenses whose investors include non-institutional investors.
How Much Will an Arizona Mortgage Broker Bond Cost?
The premium that you pay for a Mortgage Broker Surety Bond is dependent on credit.
Did You Know?
Arizona mortgage banker licenses must be renewed annually by December 31.
Related Links: NMLS Registration Portal Get more Arizona licensing renewal information here.
More Surety Bond Questions?
Check out our FAQ page or What’s a Surety Bond? page. Should you need or choose to buy a surety bond, SuretyGroup.com has been underwriting surety bonds throughout the U.S. for more than 35 years. When you work with us, you enjoy the unique benefit of dealing with a team of highly experienced surety agents with in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive, low rates, quick approvals, and immediate bond delivery. In most cases, your bond will be delivered within 24 hours after you apply for it.
For a downloadable application