Alcohol Retailer & Liquor by The Drink Surety Bonds
Retail or Liquor By The Drink Surety Bonds
Alcohol Retailer Surety Bonds are required for tax purposes for businesses that sell liquor at (and not to) local bars, restaurants, special events, and other locations (such as clubs and airports). Bonds for consumption on premises is often referred to as the "Liquor By The Drink" or mixed beverage tax and have a bond requirement as well. States that require these tax bonds include: Georgia, Kansas, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and West Virginia. Each state has specific regulations and requirements for the bond.
States That Require Alcohol Retail Surety Bonds:
- Georgia- $2,500 surety bond- Retailers and Consumption on Premises Liquor License (Apply with the Department of Revenue)
- Kansas- $1,000 surety bond or 25% of the projected tax liability- Liquor Drink Tax (Apply with the Department of Revenue)
- Michigan- $1,000 surety bond –Special License for Sale of Beer and Wine Only or, Wine and Spirits for Consumption on the Premises (Apply with the Liquor Control Commission)
- Oklahoma- Minimum $1,500 surety bond- Mixed Beverage Tax Permit, $1,000 surety bond- Retail Manufacturer (Brew Pub) (Apply with the Tax Commission)
- Tennessee- Surety bond amounts are based on gross alcohol sales- License for Sale of Alcoholic Beverages for Consumption on the Premises- Principal or Corporate (Liquor by the Drink) (Apply with the Department of Revenue)
- Texas- Surety bond amounts are based on mixed beverage sales tax and gross receipts tax- Mixed Beverage Gross Receipts Tax, Mixed Beverage Sales Tax (Apply with the Comptroller)
- Utah- $10,000 surety bond- Airport Lounge, On-Premise Banquet, Club, Reception Center, Restaurant Liquor, $25,000 bond- Resort Liquor, $5,000 surety bond- On-Premise Beer, Beer Only Restaurant, Limited Restaurant, $1,000 surety bond- Single Event, Package Agency, Scientific/Educational (Special Use), Public Service (Special Use), $500 surety bond Temporary Beer Event (Apply with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control)
- West Virginia- $5,000 surety bond- Brew Pub (Apply with the Department of Revenue, Alcohol Beverage Control Administration)
How Much Will an Alcohol or Liquor Bond Cost?
The premium amount that you pay for an Alcohol Retailer or Liquor by The Drink Surety Bond is dependent on credit, and on the bond amount required. Rates for bond amounts under $10,000 start at $100 with good credit. Premiums for bond amounts over $10,000 start at 1% with good credit. Contact our Surety Bond Specialists for a free quote that fits your specific situation.
Related Links:Kansas Liquor License RequirementsMichigan Liquor Control CommissionGeorgia Alcohol LicensingWest Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Administration
Read our blog, Interesting and Strange Alcohol Laws Across the States
Read our Blog on Alcohol Bonds
More Surety Bond Questions?
Check out our FAQ page or What’s a Surety Bond? page. Should you need or choose to buy a surety bond, buy from us. SuretyGroup.com has been underwriting surety bonds throughout the U.S. for more than 35 years. When you work with us, you enjoy the unique benefit of dealing with a team of highly experienced surety agents with in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive, low rates, quick approvals, and immediate bond delivery. In most cases, your bond will be delivered within 24 hours after you apply for it.
For a downloadable application