Home  West Virginia Bonds  West Virginia Lost Instrument Bond

Do You Need a Lost Instrument Bond in West Virginia?

A woman searches for a lost document

A Lost Instrument Bond is required in West Virginia for any lost, stolen or destroyed valuable document or instrument that you may own. The bond protects the original issuer from any financial loss as a result of issuing a duplicate. Most often the original issuer will require a bond prior to re-issuance of the document or instrument in order to protect themselves from any financial loss.


  • Fixed Penalty Bonds are for instruments with a fixed value such as a lost cashier’s check or money order.

  • Open Penalty Bonds are for instruments that have a varying market value, such as a common stock certificate.

  • The most common types of lost instruments are common and preferred stock certificates. Other examples include:

  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Money Order
  • Cashier's Check
  • Check
  • Certificate of Deposit
  • Bankbook
  • Any other financial instruments and securities

  • If a Surety Bond is a requirement in order to replace your missing important document or instrument, contact SuretyGroup.com and we can help.

    How Much Will This Bond Cost?

    The cost is called a premium that you pay for your bond and the cost depends on the type of bond needed (open or fixed penalty) and the value of the document. Let our Surety Bond Specialists provide you with a no-obligation quote.

    How Can I Get a Surety Bond?

    Call, Email or complete the online application or Quick Quote:

    Phone: 1‑844‑432‑6637
    Fax:     404-351-3237
    Hours: 8:00-5:00 CST, Monday through Friday

    ApplyOnline        DownloadApplication