Home  License and Permit Bonds   Nonresident Contractor's Tax Bond

What States May Require a Surety Bond for Non Resident Contractors?

A Contractor stands in front of construction equipment

A Nonresident Contractor's Tax Bond is required to operate legally in a state in which the contractor does not maintain a place of business. This bond ensures that the contractor pays taxes, including sales and use taxes, state income taxes, income taxes, corporation franchise taxes, unemployment insurance taxes to the state or sales and use taxes or occupational taxes to local municipalities.

States such as Delaware, Nebraska, Connecticut, Wyoming, Louisiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, and Georgia may have a license or registration and bond requirement for nonresident (or non-resident) contractors.

A contractor is defined as someone who is in the business or trade of constructing, altering, repairing or improving real property and includes, but not limited to:

  • a general contractor and subcontractor
  • a carpenter, bricklayer, stonemason, electrician, plasterer, plumber, painter, decorator, paver and bridge builder
  • a sheet metal, tile and terrazzo, heating, air conditioning, insulation, ventilating, papering, road, roofing and cement contractor
  • one who installs or incorporates items into real property
  • How Much Will This Bond Cost?

    The premium that you pay for a Nonresident Contractors Tax Bond is dependent on credit and the bond amount required. Bond amounts will vary by state and other related conditions (such as the number of employees, total annual sales, etc).

    Have Questions?

    Phone: 1‑844‑432‑6637
    Fax:     404-351-3237
    Hours: 8:00-5:00 CST, Monday through Friday

    ApplyOnline        DownloadApplication