Montana Motor Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond
Motor Vehicle Dealers in Montana are required to have a license and a Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond to operate a dealership. Dealers that must be licensed include new/franchise and used motor vehicle dealers (includes car dealers and auto dealers), rugged terrain (ATV), van and bus dealers, trailer dealers (weighing less than 500 lbs), motor home (recreational vehicles) dealers, motorcycle dealers, quadricycle dealers (includes off road power sport vehicles), boat dealers (including personal watercrafts), snowmobile dealers, special mobile equipment dealers, broker dealers, auction dealers, wholesale dealers, and new manufactured home dealers.
Surety Bond and License Requirements:
$50,000 surety bond for vehicle dealers.$15,000 surety bond for motorcycle and quadricycle dealers (street legal vehicles).$5,000 surety bond for snowmobile, off road quadricycle and motorcycle dealers, boats and personal watercraft dealers.
- Applicants can obtain an application from the Montana Department of Justice Motor Vehicle Division Title and Registration Bureau (also known as the TRB).
- Complete the application and pay the license and dealer plate fees.
- Dealers must have an established business location that has the following: a computer, printer and internet access, a place to keep records, a permanent building and sales lot, a permanent sign that has letters that are least 6" in height and visible to traffic, a telephone, posted business hours and zoning approval from the city or county where the business will be located in.
- Dealers that sell new motor vehicles, motor homes, or power sport vehicles must have a service department.
- Obtain general liability insurance and if applicable garage liability insurance (exception of new manufactured home dealers).
- License and surety bonds renew expire annually December 31 (exception of new manufactured home dealers expire annually September 30).
- Obtain a surety bond based on the type of dealership:
How Much Will This Bond Cost?
The premium that you pay for a Montana Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond is dependent on credit, the bond amount needed and experience in the vehicle sales industry.
Related Links:Montana General Dealer InformationMontana Dealer Application
More Surety Bond Questions?
Check out our FAQ page or What’s a Surety Bond? page. Should you need or choose to buy a surety bond, buy from us. SuretyGroup.com has been underwriting surety bonds throughout the U.S. for more than 35 years. When you work with us, you enjoy the unique benefit of dealing with a team of highly experienced surety agents with in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive, low rates, quick approvals, and immediate bond delivery. In most cases, your bond will be delivered within 24 hours after you apply for it.
For a downloadable application