Missouri Motor Vehicle Dealers Surety Bonds
Motor Vehicle Dealers in Missouri are required to have a license and a Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond which can be found in the Missouri Dealer Manual. The Missouri Department of Revenue (also known as the DOR), Motor Vehicles requiers dealers to be licensed which includes: new/franchise and used motor vehicle dealers (including car dealers and auto dealers), public and wholesale auction dealers, recreational vehicle dealers, cycle or power sport dealers, trailer dealers, boat dealers, and emergency vehicle dealers.
Surety Bond and License Requirements:
- Complete the Dealer Education Seminar and submit the certificate of completion with the application.
- Complete the application and pay the license and dealer plate fees. Applicants must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- New / franchise dealers must provide a copy of the franchise agreement.
- Provide photos or the dealer lot, building, and signage.
- Dealers must establish a business location that has a permanently enclosed building, a working telephone (can not be a cell phone), a display area, permanent signage with lettering that is at least 6" in height, regular business hours posted (a minimum of 20 hours per week and Monday thru Saturday), and a place to store records.
- Obtain garage liability insurance coverage and provide a copy to submit with the application.
- Applicants must register their business with the Missouri Secretary of State. A copy must be submitted if using a dba or trade name for the business signage.
- Other rules and requirements apply (see the Missouri Dealer Operating Manual).
- Licenses and surety bonds expire December 31 of each year.
- Multiple dealer locations requires a separate application and license.
- Obtain a $25,000 surety bond for new and used motor vehicle dealers, boat and power sport dealers, trailer dealers and emergency vehicle dealers. Instead of a surety bond, dealers can post an irrevocable letter of credit of equal value.
How Much Does This Bond Cost?
The premium that you pay for a Missouri Motor Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond is dependent on credit.
Related Links:Missouri Dealer ApplicationMissouri Dealer Information
More Surety Bond Questions?
Check out our FAQ page or What’s a Surety Bond? page. Should you need or choose to buy a surety bond, buy from us. SuretyGroup.com has been underwriting surety bonds throughout the U.S. for more than 35 years. When you work with us, you enjoy the unique benefit of dealing with a team of highly experienced surety agents with in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive, low rates, quick approvals, and immediate bond delivery. In most cases, your bond will be delivered within 24 hours after you apply for it.
For a downloadable application