Home  Iowa Bonds  Iowa Alcohol Bonds

Is There a Bond Requirement for Iowa Alcohol Licenses or Permits?

Alcoholic beverages are being bottled in Iowa

Iowa law requires licensing or permits for all Alcohol Retailers, Wholesalers, Manufacturers, Importers and Brokers.

The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division only issues licenses or permits to qualified applicants.

Application requirements are as follows:

Applicants must have good moral character -- no felony convictions, has good financial standing and reputation, and has not had a liquor license or permit revoked in the past two years.

Applicants must be able to pass a background check.

Premises requirements include: applicant must own, lease or rent space, mdet local zoning approval, be in good repair and free from litter, and meet all state laws and local ordinances.

Applicants must complete the application and pay the applicable fees.

A $5,000 surety bond is required for the following:

  • Class A Beer Permit (Beer Wholesale Only)
  • Class AA Beer Permit (High Alcohol Content Beer)
  • Special Class A Beer Permit (Brew Pub Privilege Only)
  • Special Class AA Beer Permit (High Proof Brew Pub)
  • Class A Wine Permit and Class "A" Native Wine Permit (Wine Wholesale Only)
  • Wine Direct Shippers License
  • Retail Class E Liquor License -Bond amount to be determined by the Division
  • How Much Will This Bond Cost?

    The premium that you pay for an Iowa Alcohol Bond is based on the bond type and credit.

    Have Questions?

    Contact our Surety Bond Specialists at:

    Phone: 1‑844‑432‑6637
    Fax:     404-351-3237
    Hours: 8:00-5:00 CST, Monday through Friday

    For more information, read our Blog on Alcohol Bonds.

    ApplyOnline        DownloadApplication