Illinois Mortgage Broker Surety Bonds
The State of Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Division of Banking, Residential Mortgage Board, is tasked with the oversight of licensure of residential mortgage industry professionals which includes mortgage brokers, mortgage bankers, residential mortgage individuals and companies and mortgage loan originators. The Illinois Residential Mortgage License Act of 1987 (RMLA) defines the licensing of residential mortgage loan companies and individuals, and mortgage loan originators and residential mortgage brokers.
Surety Bond Requirements:
Obtain a surety bond as a license requirement and the bond amount is based on the below criteria:
| Total Aggregate of Loans|| Surety Bond Amounts|
| $0 - $5,000,000|| $25,000|
| $5,000,001 - $20,000,000|| $50,000|
| $20,000,001 - $50,000,000|| $75,000 |
| $50,000,001 - $100,000,000|| $100,000 |
| Over $100,000,000|| $150,000 |
- Complete education and pass the examination.
- Complete the application through the NMLS system and pay the applicable filing fee, credit report fee, and FBI Criminal Background Check fee.
- A credit report is required for each person of control for the business. If any credit report contains liens, a bankruptcy, or other negative credit remark, an explanation and/or proof of settlement is required.
- FBI Criminal Background Check is required for any person of control (director, officer, partner, agent, employee, or a person having more than 10% ownership, or person that establishes policy or directs affairs).
- Provide formation documentation for applicants that are partnerships, corporations, or limited liability companies.
- Provide an audited financial statement prepared by a CPA, dated within 90 days of the business fiscal year end. Submitted financials must include a balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows and any relevant notes. The financial statement must reflect a minimum net worth of $50,000 for mortgage brokers with an office located in Illinois and a minimum net worth of $150,000 for mortgage brokers/bankers located outside of Illinois.
- Obtain a Certificate of Authority or Good Standing from the Illinois Secretary of State no older than 60 days from the date of application.
- Provide bank account information as well as letter and lines of credit, and trust primary accounts if applicable.
- All control persons (direct owners and executive officers) for the business must submit employment history.
- Indicate on the application any trade names or dba’s that will be used. Trade names or dba’s must be registered with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- If applicant answers Yes to any of the Disclosure Questions, provide complete details and any applicable documents.
- A $100,000 fidelity bond is a license requirement. Submit a copy of the policy with the application. The name on the policy must match the full legal name of the applicant.
How Much Will These Bonds Cost?
The premium that you pay for an Illinois Residential Mortgage Surety Bond is dependent on credit and the bond amount required. Bond amounts exceeding $50,000 will require personal and/or business financial statements.
The premium that you pay for a fidelity bond is dependent on the number of employees covered and the number of years of coverage.
Contact our Surety Bond Specialists for a free quote based on your specific situation.
Did You Know?
Illinois residential mortgage licenses must be renewed annually by December 31.
Related Links: License Renewal InformationNMLS Registration Portal Information for Illinois Residential Mortgage Company LicenseesNMLS - Illinois Residential Mortgage License New Application Checklist
More Surety Bond Questions?
Check out our FAQ page or What’s a Surety Bond? page. Should you need or choose to buy a surety bond, buy from us. SuretyGroup.com has been underwriting surety bonds throughout the U.S. for more than 35 years. When you work with us, you enjoy the unique benefit of dealing with a team of highly experienced surety agents with in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive, low rates, quick approvals, and immediate bond delivery. In most cases, your bond will be delivered within 24 hours after you apply for it.
For a downloadable application