Home  Illinois Bonds   Illinois Lost Instrument Bond

How Do I Replace a Lost Document in Illinois?

Close up of a stock certificate, a common Lost Instrument

A resident in Illinois may need a Lost Instrument Surety Bond to replace a lost or destroyed (example: house fire, tornado, etc.) financial document or instrument. The bond amount varies depending on the value of document, and whether it is an open or fixed penalty bond. The bond protects the issuer from financial loss upon the duplicate/ replacement being issued.

Common Lost Instrument Surety Bond Types:

Fixed Penalty Bonds are used when the value of the instrument remains the same over time.
Open Penalty Bonds are for an instrument that’s value fluctuates.

The most common types of lost instruments are checks, cashier's checks, money orders, and common and preferred stock certificates.

Examples of lost instruments are:

  • Waiver of Probate
  • Stock Book
  • Certificate of Deposit
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Bankbook
  • Other Securities and Financial Instruments

  • Regardless of what type of destroyed, stolen or lost financial document you have, SuretyGroup.com can help guide you through the Lost Instrument process and provide you with the assistance that you need.

    How Much Will This Bond Cost?

    The premium that you pay for an Illinois Lost Instrument Surety Bond varies and will depend on the value of the document and the type of bond needed. SuretyGroup.com provides free, no-obligation quotes.

    Contact Us Today

    Phone: 1‑844‑432‑6637
    Fax:     404-351-3237
    Hours: 8:00-5:00 CST, Monday through Friday

    ApplyOnline        DownloadApplication