Delaware Mortgage Loan Broker Surety Bonds
The State of Delaware, Department of State Office of the State Bank Commissioner (Commissioner), administers through the National Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS), the licensing of mortgage brokers, mortgage lenders, and mortgage loan originators.
The Delaware Administrative Code, Title 5, Regulation No. 101, 2201 thru 2210, defines the regulations for mortgage brokers. Mortgage loan brokers are required to obtain a license and surety bond prior to offering any mortgage related services. The surety bond ensures compliance of state laws and honest and ethical conduct.
Surety Bond and License Requirements:
- Complete all pre-licensing education and take the written examinations.
- Complete the required mortgage broker application through the NMLS (National Mortgage Licensing System) and pay the applicable NMLS processing fee, credit report fee, FBI Criminal Background Check Fee, State Criminal Background Check Fee.
- Provide in the application: Contact employees and business bank account information.
- Provide in the application any trade names or dba’s that will be used.
- Provide in the application the name of the onsite manager, qualifying individual, or branch manager for each location.
- Provide an unaudited financial statement that is dated within 90 days of the business fiscal year end. Financial statements include a balance sheet and income statement. For new businesses, an initial balance sheet is required. Applicant must have a minimum of $40,000 in capital.
- Provide a business plan that includes marketing strategy and products, operating structure, etc.
- Submit a Management Chart for all divisions, officers, managers and an Organizational Chart for applicants that are owned by another entity.
- Provide sample copies of the mortgage loan agreements.
- Obtain a minimum $25,000 surety bond. The bond amount may be increased at the option of the Commissioner. The name that will be listed on the surety bond must match exactly as the name being listed in the application..
- Complete the Supervisory Assessment Disclosure and the FinCen Disclosure, scan and email to Elizabeth.Miller@state.de.us.
- If the applicant answers "Yes" to any of the Disclosure Questions, provide complete details and any applicable backup documentation to support the explanations.
- Obtain a Certificate of Authority or Good Standing from the Secretary of State.
How Much Does a Delaware Mortgage Broker Bond Cost?
The premium that you pay for a Delaware Mortgage Broker Surety Bond is based on credit. Premiums start at .75% of the bond amount with good credit. Contact our Surety Bond Specialists for a free quote based on your specific situation.
Did You Know?
Delaware does not limit the number of dba’s or trade names used.
Related Links:NMLS - Delaware Broker License - New Application Checklist NMLS Registration Portal State of Delaware - Mortgage Broker Information
More Surety Bond Questions?
Check out our FAQ page or What’s a Surety Bond? page. Should you need or choose to buy a surety bond, buy from us. SuretyGroup.com has been underwriting surety bonds throughout the U.S. for more than 35 years. When you work with us, you enjoy the unique benefit of dealing with a team of highly experienced surety agents with in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive, low rates, quick approvals, and immediate bond delivery. In most cases, your bond will be delivered within 24 hours after you apply for it.
For a downloadable application