The State of Alabama Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division is responsible for the licensing of new and used motor vehicle dealers, motorcycle dealers, trailer dealers (trailers do not require a certificate of title), and Motor Vehicle Wholesalers. A motor vehicle wholesaler is defined as motor vehicles bought, sold, traded, or exchanged at wholesale to dealer and not to the public.
The Code of Alabama 1975, Sections 40-12-390, defines the motor vehicle wholesaler license requirements. The following is required for licensure:
1. Completion of the online application (ETAPS) and payment of the license fee.
2. Submit a copy of all owners, partners, members, officers and directors driver's licenses or non-driver identification cards.
3. Submit a picture of the signage and lot (new and used dealers).
4. Obtain blanket/motor vehicle liability insurance and attach the completed Insurance Certification Form (MVD-1).
5. There is a $10,000 surety bond requirement which will need to be uploaded as an attachment to the license application.
6. License and bond renews October 1 of each year.
The premium that you pay for an Alabama Motor Vehicle Wholesaler Bond is dependent on credit.
Upon completion of entering an license application in the Alabama MVTRIP portal, you must print out the transmittal sheet and mail it to the Department along with any supporting documents.