One of the great joys of being a wine enthusiast is discovering new wines from all over the country. It’s now even easier for wine lovers to sample a variety of wines since most states allow shipping from wineries directly to their customers’ homes.
If you own a winery in the US, you may be able to increase your customer base by shipping directly to out-of-state customers. But each state has its own laws regarding wine sales across state lines.
New Jersey customers are allowed to purchase up to 12 cases of wine for delivery directly to their homes every year. However, they are limited to only purchase from wineries that produce less than 250,000 gallons of wine annually.
If your winery falls within those limits, there are guidelines to follow when shipping to New Jersey, which include:
• Obtain an Out-of-State Winery License and register with the New Jersey Division of Revenue.
• Collect and remit sales tax.
• Tax cannot exceed $1 million or be less than $1,000.
• File a bimonthly beverage tax report form R-1-W, with the Division of Taxation.
• The total gallons of all wine sales shipped directly to New Jersey consumers must be reported on Schedule D-W.
• The winery cannot produce more than 250,000 gallons of wine per year, and cannot own a winery that produces more than 250,000 a year.
• The winery can only ship wine they have manufactured.
• All products must be brand registered in New Jersey.
• No more than 12 cases per year, per person can be shipped, and it must be for personal consumption only.
• Provide invoices of sales and keep files for three years.
• Have a current and valid winery license issued by another state.
• File a surety bond with New Jersey’s Director of the Division of Taxation. The Director will consider the applicant’s financial information and experience in the business as factors for setting a bond amount. The winery must post a bond before a license can be issued.
SuretyGroup.com is licensed in 50 states, and helps wineries all over the US through the bonding process. Contact us for a free, no-obligation quote. You may also apply online or call our Surety Bond Specialists at 844-432-6637.
SuretyGroup.com – Your Online Bond Provider.
Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.