How Do I Get A Georgia Certificate of Title Bond?

A set of car keys lie on a certificate of title. writes surety bond for lost titles, or certificate of title.

A Guide For When You Need Proof of Ownership

A Certificate of Title Bond, sometimes referred to as a Lost Title Bond, is required by the state of Georgia when proof of ownership of a vehicle is not available.

This may be the case if you have a vehicle that you now own but do not have proof of ownership documents for. This vehicle can’t be an abandoned vehicle nor any vehicle from 1985 or older, or a vehicle that is not required to be titled.

Vehicles that qualify for a duplicate title include: vehicles newer than 1986, motor vehicles, travel trailers, car/tow dollies weighing 2,001 lbs or more, motorcycles, campers, 1963 and newer mobile homes or manufactured homes.

Your County Tag Office will determine whether or not you need a Certificate of Title bond and the amount of the bond required. If they determine you need a bond, there are several forms that you will need to complete in order to title your vehicle.

You will need to complete and sign form MV-1 Title/Tag Application and Form MV-46A Certificate of Title Bond Affidavit. The Affidavit needs to be signed and but must also be notarized. If the form is not notarized the Department will not issue you a duplicate title.

You will also need to complete and sign Form MV-46 Certificate of Title Bond. The bond amount is determined by County Tag Office’s value of the car. This value may be different than what an online vehicle estimate might be (such as from Kelly Blue Book, Carfax or NADA). Regardless of the condition of your vehicle, the minimum surety bond amount required is $5,000. If the vehicle is worth more than $5,000 the bond will need to be in the amount equal to two times the average retail value of the vehicle. In other words, if your vehicle is worth $6,000, the bond amount will be $12,000.

You will need to have your vehicle inspected by a law enforcement official who will verify the vehicle identification number (VIN) and ensure that the VIN matches the vehicle that it is affixed to. Upon completion of the inspection, the officer will sign Form T-22B Certificate of Inspection.

Additionally your vehicle’s VIN will be checked against the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) to verify that the vehicle is not a stolen vehicle, and check for any potential liens on the vehicle. If the vehicle is stolen, you may have to forfeit the vehicle to law enforcement. If there is a lien, the lien may need to be satisfied in order to get a duplicate title.

When all forms have been signed, bring those forms and any other documents you may have and your original bond to your County Tag Office and pay the title fee. Upon completion of form and fees, your duplicate title will be issued. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.