Alcohol Manufacturers and Retailers May Need a Bond

Georgia Alcohol Tax Bonds Expire Dec. 31

Barrels of alcohol are in a storage vault. writes all surety bonds for the alcohol industry.

Renew Early to Stay Compliant

The end of the year is fast approaching, but there is still time to renew your Georgia Alcohol License.

Those in Georgia’s alcohol industry will need to renew their license by December 31. The earlier you renew the better, to make sure you have everything in order to meet the state’s renewal requirement of January 1.

Bonds that are being renewed must have a new bond form and power of attorney each year. The bond and power of attorney will be mailed (or overnighted) to you to sign and scan into a PDF document to submit as an attachment for the renewal of your license.

Renewals are made online through the Georgia Tax Center.  Upload all documents on the website, and have your alcohol license number and payment option handy (credit card or ACH debit).

Once the license is renewed, it can be picked up at the Century Center office, or you can have it mailed to you.

Those who need to renew Surety Bonds along with their license include Brokers, Breweries, Distilleries, Farm Wineries, Importers, Wineries, Wholesalers, Distributors, Brewpubs, and Retail Package Dealers.

Contact to get low rates on Alcohol Tax Surety Bonds for the alcohol industry around the country. We offer free, no-obligation quotes and fast service. You can speak with a Surety Bond Specialist at 1‑844‑432‑6637, email, or apply online. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.



Shipping Wine to New Jersey Customers

Bottles of wine are in a crate, ready to be shipped. writes all TTB bonds.

How to Cross the State Line

One of the great joys of being a wine enthusiast is discovering new wines from all over the country. It’s now even easier for wine lovers to sample a variety of wines since most states allow shipping from wineries directly to their customers’ homes.

If you own a winery in the US, you may be able to increase your customer base by shipping directly to out-of-state customers. But each state has its own laws regarding wine sales across state lines.

New Jersey customers are allowed to purchase up to 12 cases of wine for delivery directly to their homes every year. However, they are limited to only purchase from wineries that produce less than 250,000 gallons of wine annually.

If your winery falls within those limits, there are guidelines to follow when shipping to New Jersey, which include:

• Obtain an Out-of-State Winery License and register with the New Jersey Division of Revenue.
• Collect and remit sales tax.
• Tax cannot exceed $1 million or be less than $1,000.
• File a bimonthly beverage tax report form R-1-W, with the Division of Taxation.
• The total gallons of all wine sales shipped directly to New Jersey consumers must be reported on Schedule D-W.
• The winery cannot produce more than 250,000 gallons of wine per year, and cannot own a winery that produces more than 250,000 a year.
• The winery can only ship wine they have manufactured.
• All products must be brand registered in New Jersey.
• No more than 12 cases per year, per person can be shipped, and it must be for personal consumption only.
• Provide invoices of sales and keep files for three years.
• Have a current and valid winery license issued by another state.
File a surety bond with New Jersey’s Director of the Division of Taxation. The Director will consider the applicant’s financial information and experience in the business as factors for setting a bond amount. The winery must post a bond before a license can be issued. is licensed in 50 states, and helps wineries all over the US through the bonding process. Contact us for a free, no-obligation quote. You may also apply online or call our Surety Bond Specialists at 844-432-6637. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.

TTB Eliminates Bond Requirement for Small Businesses

Bond Amounts Change January 1, 2017

Glasses of beer sit on a counter top. writes all surety bonds for the alcohol industry.

Owners of breweries, brewpubs, distilled spirits, plants and wineries that owe less than $50,000 in excise taxes in the previous year will not need to hold a TTB Surety Bond as of January 1, 2017.

Bond applications are still required for all who submit applications before that date.

The TTB has added a new data field in the application where you can state if you expect to owe less than $50,000 and be exempt from bond requirements.

If you are a new business, such as a brewery or winery, understanding the process can be challenging. The first step in the process is determining what type of business you fall under, such as:

• Alcohol Producers and Manufacturers (Distilleries, Breweries, or Wineries)

• Alcohol Importers, Wholesalers and Exporters

• Alcohol Users and Dealers

Once you determine your business type, you will need to fill out an application with the TTB and receive approval before you can begin operations. Applications can be completed online or via paper applications at the TTB’s website.

If you aren’t sure if your business will be exempt from obtaining a bond, contact the TTB and they will work with you to determine if you need to be bonded.

If it turns out that you are over $50,000 and still need a bond, can help you keep compliant with TTB bond requirements. We write all TTB bonds in all 50 States. Give our Surety Bond Experts a call to get started.

At, we offer low rates, fast service and expert attention to your bonding needs. Apply Online or call our Surety Bond Specialists at 1-844-432-6637. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.

Interesting and Strange Alcohol Laws Across the States

A liquor store sign
Each state has its own laws regarding alcohol comsumption.

What Law Does Your State Require?

Those involved in the alcohol industry see a variety of strict federal and state laws regarding the manufacturing, distilling, producing, shipping and retail sales of alcohol.

One of these laws is the requirement of surety bonds. The federal government requires TTB Bonds for many businesses to ensure that taxes are paid. On the state level, each state has its own laws on when or if surety bonds are required.

When it comes to other alcohol-related laws, almost every state gives its residents reason to gripe. What’s perfectly legal in one state could get you arrested in another. There are also some false rumors floating around about what is and isn’t legal. Most of the really ridiculous rumors simply aren’t true. But some actually are. Here are some interesting tidbits and laws regarding alcohol use in the States that are worth sharing:

Alabama:  Wine labels cannot be “immodest or sensuous,” even if the TTB has already approved it.

Alaska:  It’s okay to give your children alcohol as long as it’s not in a licensed establishment. It used to be illegal to give alcohol to a moose. Though that law was repealed long ago, it’s still illegal to give human food to any wildlife in Alaska.

Arizona:   An intoxicated person at an establishment is only allowed to remain for 30 minutes. This gives a sober person enough time to show up to take them home.

Arkansas:   Minors who are aged 18 to under 21 that are caught with alcohol will get a fine and have to write a theme or essay on intoxicating liquors, wine or beer.

California:   Alcohol cannot be displayed within five feet of a cash register or the front door if the business also sells motor fuel — unless it is in a permanently fixed cooler.

Colorado:  You may not be intoxicated while horseback riding on the highway.

Connecticut:   You can purchase up to four liters of beer at restaurants, cafes and taverns for off-premise consumption.

Delaware:   No alcohol sales on big holidays including Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas. In the city of Rehoboth Beach, alcohol may not be served at dance halls or dance clubs.

DC:   Santa Claus, Easter, Holy Week and Mother’s Day may not be used in advertising to sell alcohol.

Florida:   You can have alcohol delivered to your house. Active military can import alcohol tax-free.

Georgia:   Athens-Clarke County doesn’t allow 2-for-1 specials, and there’s no Lady’s Nights in Columbus.

Hawaii:  Minors caught drinking and driving get a DUI, and their parent or guardian will be required to attend an alcohol abuse educational program.

Idaho:   Limits liquor licenses to one bar for every 1500 citizens. These licenses are a hot item and can be traded or sold for big bucks.

Illinois:   Don’t lend out your driver’s license to anyone, like a younger sibling. You could be fined and get a year in jail. Also, if you are driving and your passenger is drinking, both you and the passenger could be issued a traffic citation.

Indiana:   Grocery stores and gas stations cannot sell cold beer. Only liquor stores can sell cold beer, but they are not allowed to sell cold soda. Minors under 18, including babies, are not allowed to enter a liquor store, bar or other public place where alcohol is sold or provided.

Iowa:   You can’t run a tab unless you are using a bona fide credit card. Home delivery is allowed.

Kansas:   Didn’t lift Prohibition until 1948, lifted a ban on liquor by the drink in 1987, and lifted the ban on happy hour drink specials in 2012. But you still can’t buy ice at a liquor store.

Kentucky:   Since some counties are dry and others are not, many wineries will deny shipping wine to the entire state, just to be safe.  You can run a tab for beer, but not for wine or distilled spirits. You cannot buy alcohol during a primary or general elections, but you can during special elections.

Louisiana:   It is legal for parents or legal guardians to purchase alcohol for their underage children. Open containers are fine in New Orleans as long as they are not glass containers. You can buy cocktails at a drive-thru but you can’t drive with an open container, so keep the straw out of the cup.

Maine:   Liquor sales on Sundays can begin at 7am, unless it’s St. Patrick’s Day. Then they can start selling at 6am.

Maryland:   Active military returning to Maryland can bring alcohol with them. It’s considered a household good. And there is no limit on the amount.

Massachusetts:   Many establishments do not accept out of state driver’s licenses as acceptable proof of age, but a passport or military identification card is okay.

Michigan:   No alcohol sales on Christmas Day until noon.

Minnesota:   High-alcohol spirits like Everclear are illegal. Does not allow the sale of alcohol on Sundays, but all of Minnesota’s border states and Canada do sell on Sundays.

Mississippi:   The only state where drinking and driving is allowed. Drivers may drink as long as their blood alcohol level remains below .08%.

Missouri:    There are no open container laws, no public intoxication laws, no dry jurisdictions, and parents or guardians may provide alcohol to their children. But you can’t be intoxicated in church, school or a courthouse.

Montana:   Liquor licenses are privately held and can be sold for huge profits. New licenses are acquired through a lottery system.

Nebraska:   Bar employees may not show PDA (public displays of affection) with bar patrons.

Nevada:   Do what you want. Drink what you want, when you want, where you want and how you want. Public intoxication is legal. Minors may drink in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.

New Hampshire:   Patrons at bars and restaurants must be seated at their table or booth to be served. Patrons may be served while standing at the bar or drink rails. In Claremont, New Hampshire, you may not drink alcohol in a cemetery. (You are also not allowed to picnic in a cemetery, enter at night, or enter by yourself if you are 10 years old or younger.)

New Jersey:   If you get a DUI, you may not get a personalized license plate. If a restaurant doesn’t have a liquor license, you may bring you own wine or beer, and you cannot be charged a corkage fee.

New Mexico:   Selling, serving and giving alcohol to a minor is fourth degree felony, except when a parent, legal guardian or spouse of a minor serves that minor on property other than licensed premises, or for religious purposes. But a minor who uses a fake ID to obtain alcohol is charged with a petty misdemeanor.

New York:   Liquor stores must be owned by a single owner who lives within a certain distance of the store, which can make it difficult for chain stores to operate.

North Carolina:   No Happy Hour, no Buy One Get One Free and no Lady’s Night Specials. In an emergency, the Governor may decide to order the cessation of selling, manufacturing and transporting alcohol.

North Dakota:   It is illegal for minors to have internal possession of alcohol. Meaning, they can’t possess alcohol in their bodies. This allows law enforcement to make arrests or issue citations even if the minor is not holding or drinking alcoholic beverages.

Ohio:   Parents and guardians can give their underage child alcohol in a bar or restaurant, but it’s up to the establishment if they want to allow it.

Oklahoma:   If a beverage is more than 4% alcohol, it must be sold at room temperature.

Oregon:   An establishment with a liquor license must serve at least five different substantial food items.

Pennsylvania:   Beer can’t be sold where gas is sold or in grocery stores. You can’t buy more than two 6-packs of beer at a time. (You can take those two 6-packs to your car, and then return to buy more.) Cases and kegs can only come from a distributor. Grocery stores can only sell beer if they have a café or eat-in restaurant that seats 30 people. You may not bring alcohol into the state from another state unless you are: in the military, retired military, totally disabled veteran, or their spouse.

Rhode Island:   One of two states that never ratified the 18th Amendment that established Prohibition. The other was Connecticut.

South Carolina:   On the fourth Friday of October each year, children in public schools are required to learn about Frances Willard, a key figure in the passage of prohibition, and “the evils of intemperance.”

South Dakota:   Federal law bans the sale of alcohol on Native American reservations unless the tribal council allows it.

Tennessee:   Tennessee’s most famous whiskey distillery is in a dry county.

Texas:   Public companies with more than 35 shareholders (like Wal-Mart) cannot sell hard liquor. You can buy cocktails at drive-thrus, but they have to put a piece of tape over the straw hole in the lid.  No labels with the US flag, Texas flag or any Armed Forces flag.

Utah:   If an establishment has a restaurant liquor license and not a bar liquor license, then liquor bottles cannot be on display, and drinks cannot be mixed in view of a patron. If you order a drink at a restaurant, you must also order food.  Private individuals cannot bring alcohol into the state from other states.

Vermont:   After Prohibition was repealed, the drinking age in Vermont was 21. The age was lowered to 18 in 1971, but raised back to 21 in 1986. This is due to losing federal funding if the age was 18.

Virginia:   If an officer has probable cause to believe you have been drinking and driving, you must consent to a breath or blood test. If you refuse, that will be used against you in court and your license will be suspended.

Washington:   Music, dancing or entertainment are not allowed in licensed establishments without permission of the proper authorities. This does not apply to radios or mechanical music devices.

West Virginia:   You may not bring more than 10 gallons of alcohol into the state for personal consumption.

Wisconsin:   If an establishment is okay with it, a parent or guardian can serve alcohol to their child in a bar, no matter the child’s age.

Wyoming:   Alcohol may be consumed in state parks. You may not ski while intoxicated.

Puerto Rico:  Liquor sales are prohibited during hurricane emergencies.


How to Get Bonded

If your business is in the alcohol industry and you need a surety bond, you must purchase it from a Surety through a licensed agent, such as‘s Surety Bond Specialists can often give you same-day approval that makes the process quick and easy.


Have questions? can help. Give us a call at 1‑844‑432‑6637 and our Surety Bond Specialists can walk you through the bonding process. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.

Wisconsin Alcohol Beverage Tax

Glasses of beer sit on a counter top. writes all surety bonds for the alcohol industry.

Keep Your Business Compliant with Tax Laws

Wisconsin is famous for its breweries. Besides the traditional big-name breweries that everyone is familiar with, a variety of craft breweries, micro-breweries and nano-breweries are springing up all over the state. Wisconsin is also home to many popular wineries and distilleries.

Compared to the rest of the country, Wisconsin lands near the top of the chart in alcohol consumption, and the state enjoys around $8.6 billion in revenue as a result.

That revenue comes from taxes. Those who manufacture, import or bottle distilled spirits, beer or wine will be subject to the Fermented Malt Beverage Tax or the Intoxicating Liquor, Cider and Wine Tax.

Besides the tax requirement, these businesses may also be required to provide a security, such as a surety bond, as a guarantee that they will pay their taxes. The security amount must be equal to twice the business’ estimated maximum monthly liquor tax. It can be no less than $1,000 and no more than $100,000.

How to Get Bonded

If your business license requires a surety bond, you must purchase it from a Surety through a licensed agent, such as

SuretyGroup.coms Surety Bond Specialists can often give you same-day approval that makes the process quick and easy.

Have questions? can help. Give us a call at 1‑844‑432‑6637 and our Surety Bond Specialists can walk you through the bonding process. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.

Tennessee Alcohol Tax Bonds

Keeping Compliant is in the Details

Bottles of wine are in a crate, ready to be shipped. writes all TTB bonds.

Tennessee grocery stores are about to get a little wetter.

It’s been a long road for proponents of wine sales in Tennessee grocery stores. Currently, grocery stores are not legally allowed to sell wine. But in 2014, the Tennessee governor signed the “wine in grocery stores law,” which will open the door to wine sales starting July 1, 2016.

This influx of wine heading to grocery stores means more business for many of those in the alcohol industry. Warehousemen, Dealers, Manufacturers, Wholesalers and Transporters are preparing for the upcoming grocery store demand.

Besides being licensed, these businesses are also required to carry a Surety Bond. This ensures that they will comply with all the laws and regulations, which includes paying their Alcoholic Beverage taxes.

Warehousemen, Dealers, Manufacturers:

Those storing, selling, distributing and/or manufacturing alcoholic beverages must have a bond of $20,000.  This amount can be adjusted by the commissioner after the initial three months of operation.


Wholesalers must post a cash bond or surety bond with the Tennessee Department of Revenue annually. The bond amount is no less than 110% of the average monthly tax liability of the wholesalers for the preceding 12 month period.

Wholesalers who are just starting out must file a bond for a four-month period in an amount determined by the Commissioner. The amount will be adjusted at the end of that four-month period.

Wholesalers who have been in operation for three consecutive years and have timely paid the gallonage tax will no longer be required to be bonded.

The Department of Revenue reviews bonds annually and notifies wholesalers if their bond amount increases or decreases.


Those who transport alcoholic beverages within, into, through or from Tennessee must post $1000 bond with the Alcoholic Beverage Commission. The Transporter must have evidence of the bond at all times during the transportation. The route must be the most direct route from consignor’s place to the place of business.


The requirements for licensing and bonding are different for every state, so the more you educate yourself about your state’s laws, the easier it is to be in compliance.

If you have questions about Tennessee’s Alcohol taxes and bonding requirements, you can call the Department of Revenue’s toll-free tax information line for Tennessee residents at 800-342-1003 or 615-253-0600. The telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD) line is 615-741-7398.

How to Get Bonded

If your business license requires a surety bond, you must purchase it from a Surety through a licensed agent, such as

SuretyGroup.coms Surety Bond Specialists can often give you same-day approval that makes the process quick and easy.

Have questions? can help. Give us a call at 1‑844‑432‑6637 and our Surety Bond Specialists can walk you through the bonding process. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.

Georgia Liquor License Bonds Expire Dec. 31

Barrels of alcohol are in a storage vault. writes all surety bonds for the alcohol industry.

Stay Compliant With Georgia’s Liquor Laws

You probably don’t have to drive far to find a local winery, distillery, or brewpub.  These businesses are thriving in every state in the country.

Alcohol is big business, and the industry pumps over 400 BILLION dollars into the US economy every year. That results in over 41 billion paid in federal (TTB), state and local taxes.

Those who produce, transport, wholesale and sell alcohol often are required to be licensed and/or bonded. The type of licensing depends on the state the business is located in, what type of alcohol the business deals with and what the business entails.

Businesses that deal with alcohol may also need one or a combination of several bonds required by federal, state and local governments.  This ensures that all those billions in taxes are paid and that businesses are compliant with the laws and ordinances associated with each governmental entity requirements.

In Georgia, the Georgia Department of Revenue, Alcohol & Tobacco Division lists a variety of bonds for alcohol and tobacco-related businesses, and many of these expire on Dec. 31:

Brewpub License Performance and Tax Liability Bond: $5000

Cigar and Cigarette Distributors License Performance and Tax Liability Bond:  Bond amount must not be less than $1000

Liquor Broker Tax Bond:  $2500

Liquor Importer Tax Bond:  $5000

Liquor Manufacturer Distillery Tax Bond: $10,000

Liquor Wholesalers Tax Bond:  $5000

Malt Beverage Bond Performance and Tax Liability Bond: $5000

Malt Beverage Wholesalers Bond Tax Bond: $5000

Registered Producers License Tax Liability Bond: $10,000

Retailers and Consumption on Premises Liquor License Performance and Tax Liability Bond: $2500

Tobacco Distributors Tax Stamp Bond: $1000

Wine Wholesalers Bond Performance and Tax Liability Bond: $5000

Winery Manufacturer Broker Importer Tax Bond: $5000

How to Get Bonded

If you are in the alcohol or tobacco business, check with your local laws for your specific licensing and bonding requirements. Surety Bonds must be purchased from a Surety through a licensed agent, such as

SuretyGroup.coms Surety Bond Specialists can often give you same-day approval that makes the process quick and easy.

Have questions? can help. Give us a call at 1-844-432-6637 and our Surety Bond Specialists can walk you through the bonding process. – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.

How Do You Like Your Alcohol?

Various types of liquor are on a bar. writes all surety bonds for the alcohol industry.

Here’s A Little Taste of Alcohol Bonds to Wet Your Whistle

You may like champagne from France, wine from Napa, a special cocktail from your favorite restaurant, or a micro brewed beer from your local pub. Whatever your alcohol choice is, more than likely it came to you through various restrictions of statues, laws or ordinances from governmental entities such as the federal government, a state, a county or a municipality.

Most states and the federal government require bonds for alcohol if it has been manufactured for sale, shipped across country, warehoused or sold in a store or retail establishment, or served in a restaurant. Alcohol bonds can also be purposed to collect taxes, and can be a financial guarantee to comply with laws that are in place.

Businesses that make, sell, store, transport and sometimes serve alcohol must obtain bonds that are filed with various “obligee’s” or “owners.”  Examples include the State of California, the US Department of Tobacco and Alcohol, and the City of Athens, Alabama.  Each “obligee” has their own bond form, and the requirements vary.  Also, if you are starting a new business such as a distillery, brewery, winery or liquor package store that is regulated by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), you can review an interactive tutorial for their requirements.

Understanding the bond process can be challenging; our bond specialists are here to help.  has been underwriting alcohol retail, liquor manufacturer, state and federal bonds for more than 35 years throughout the US, thus we are well versed in the requirements and processes. We have a team of experienced surety agents and in-house underwriting authority. This allows you to receive competitive low rates, quick approvals and immediate bond delivery. If you have any questions please call our surety professionals today at 1‑844‑432‑6637 or email – Your Online Bond Provider.

Great Rates. Solid Advice. Quick Solutions.